Director of Finance at Appia
Wireless | Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina Area, US
Allen began working as a business consultant with small, private or startup businesses after receiving his MBA at Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina with a focus on entrepreneurship and finance. Allen's work focuses primarily on financial modeling, reporting and analysis, and executive presentations.
During business school, Allen worked as a Managing Director of the KFBS Private Equity fund, the only student-run fund associated with a leading U.S. business school that seeks to provide real returns to its limited partners. During the summer of 2008, Allen worked with local businesses in the RTP area as part of the Carolina Entrepreneurial Fellowship program.
Prior to business school, Allen worked most recently as a Producer with Super-Ego Games, a video game developer that worked to create downloadable episodic game content for the PC and game consoles.
Specialties: Business planning, financial modeling, data analysis, reporting automation, startups, project management, product development, database development, market research
2010 - Present
Director of Finance / Appia
Business Consultant / Hill Climber Consulting
Independent consulting practice working with startup and entrepreneurial businesses. Clients include:
Custom Choice Cereal
MBA Student Class of 2009 / UNC Kenan-Flagler
MBA student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler Business School.
Degree Received May 2009 with a focus on finance and entrepreneurship. Dean's Scholar (Top 5% of class).
Managing Director / KFBS Private Equity Fund
• Led deal team for clinical research buyout investment. Created buyout model and due diligence report for investment committee and board approval.
• Participated in the sourcing, due diligence and monitoring of four portfolio investments.
• Raised capital from Limited Partners to establish fund.
Business Consultant / University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Provided consulting services to clients through selective internship program matching students with local entrepreneurs.
• A.V. Chandler LLC. Developed financial models and conducted due diligence to evaluate potential investment opportunities for a start-up private equity firm focusing on companies valued under $10MM, primarily in the business services and manufacturing industries.
• DPoly Systems. Prepared marketing study for recycling technology company exploring a new consumer product opportunity. Performed extensive research to evaluate the potential market and recommend a market entry strategy.
• Larry’s Beans. Developed executive dashboard reporting tools to track financial, sales, and operational metrics for fair trade and organic coffee company. Automated generation of data tables and charts to allow in-depth analysis of current and historical company data.
Producer / Super-Ego Games
• Worked on startup team to grow game developer from four to 25+ employees.
• Partnered with CEO to develop project plan and to manage game design, art, audio and engineering production.
• Designed rapid prototyping processes and tools used to write, record and script thousands of files.
• Led the engineering team using agile software development techniques.
Professional Services / LivePerson
• Led a project that converted 15,000 sales leads and over 1,000 client accounts to an online sales database that eliminated consulting fees and reduced monthly costs by over 90%.
• Provided consulting services that increased revenue from participating clients by over 50%.
• Managed relationships with forty clients generating annual revenue of over $250,000.
Quality Analyst / J&W Seligman
• Analyzed and promoted client service performance for fund transfer agency.
• Conducted quality data analysis and industry surveys to monitor and improve fund policies and procedures, resulting in yearly recognition from the leading quality measurement firms.
Quality Assurance Representative / MFS Investment Management
• Received accelerated promotion to a team that reviewed high volume of mutual fund transactions and executed high priority trades